Kempshott was a submember of the Dummer parish but is now a district
The name Kempshott may derive from the Old English 'Cempan sceat' which
means 'warrior's corner', some 14th century and later forms also suggest
'sciete' with the same meaning attached.
B.C. 3000 - Neolithic settlements established in Kempshott.
B.C. 1000 - Bronze Age people settled at Kempshott.
A.D. 1086 - Shown in the Domesday book as Ca~pessete
A.D. 1575 - Shown on a Saxton map as Kemshot as a settlement or hamlet
A.D. 1607 - Shown on a Norden map as Kemshat a house in Basingestoke
A.D. 1611 - Kempshott first shown as named, as a settlement or hamlet
on a map by Speed
A.D. 1753 - On 12 July the first horse race was recorded on Basingstoke Down,
(in Kempshott) these were held annually until 1788.
A.D. 1788 - The Prince of Wales rented Kempshott House as a hunting lodge.
A.D. 1795 - Prince of Wales married Caroline of Brunswick and spent his
honeymoon at Kempshott.
A.D. 1811 - The Kempshott Races were re-started after a 23 year lapse.
A.D. 1829 - Racing at Kempshott abandoned.
A.D. 1845 - Horseracing at Kempshott was re-started. It ceased altogether in 1850.
A.D. 1928 - Basingstoke Golf Club established near Kempshott.
A.D. 1960 - Basingstoke Council acquire Down Grange Farm for sports use.
A.D. 1962 - Private houses built in Kempshott as part of the decision to make
Basingstoke an overspill town for London.
More detailed history
Kempshott House was owned by Mr J C Crook from the 1700's. George Augustus Frederick, the Prince of Wales spent his honeymoon at Kempshott House with his wife, Caroline of Brunswick. It overlooked the Basingstoke Golf Club, and dated from 1784. It was demolished when the M3 was built. The old Coach House was retained, refurbished and is still used for commercial purposes & some residential (ie: Kempshott Park, the 1st turning on the left as you come off the M3 J7 roundabout into Dummer).
"Campesette" has evolved into Kempshott. Circa 45 AD: After the Roman invasion in 43, a Roman road is built from Londinium (London) via Calleva Atrebatum (Silchester) and Old Sarum (near Salisbury) to Isca Dumnoniorum (Exeter). 410AD: Romans leave the area. Celts take over again… for a while. The Atrebates build a defensive fort between the two cities just to the north of Campesette.
In the mid 1980's (pos 1985?), the Lordship of the Manor of Kempshott went under the auctioneer's hammer, with a guide of between £5000 & £15000. The buyer bought a title dating back to Edward the Confessor. The title previously belonged to the Rycroft family, who acquired it in the mid 19th Century, before which the Pinke family owned the title - bought by Henry Pinke in 1578. Earlier Lords of the Manor included the Tichbourne family and Norman Baron Hugh de Sifrewast. In the Domesday Book, the Manor was listed among the numerous posessions of Hugh de Port - one of his rewards for his support of William the Conqueror.
Some references come from the Old
Hampshire Gazetteer with thanks to Martin and Jean Norgate, whilst more comes thanks to Simon Preedy.